Saturday 3 January 2009

Frozen

I feel unable to post about anything narrowboaty at all, sorry. My friend is in Jabaliya tonight, travelling in the ambulances to try and ensure their immunity from attack as the Israeli troops roll in. The presence of internationals sometimes acts as a form of protection but at night and out of sight of the cameras, anything goes. No wonder the Israeli government allowed foreigners to get out - you don't want a load of people telling it like it is to the outside world. My friend and others like her, have stayed to offer what protection they can and to give a voice to the beseiged people. As she said, if you only remember one statistic, it's that 50% of the population of Gaza are children. As well as the danger of being blown up, there's very little food left.

The International Solidarity Movement website is a good source of updates when my friend and others can't get to a laptop or electricity.

5 comments:

Simon said...

will email you - was working yesterday so couldn't do the big demo, but went last week:

http://mzdt.livejournal.com/309472.html

Tony said...

There's no need to be sorry - given what has been going on for the past couple of weeks I'm not surprised you don't feel like posting anything light-hearted.


I can't begin to get my head around the enormity of what the people are being subjected to over there. But the posts she's made over the past fortnight show just what an amazing person your friend must be. And remember - this won't go on for ever. Your friend, and the others with her, will be back before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Tony - thanks for your kind comments. She IS amazing.
Carrie x

Anonymous said...

Hi

It was so good to find your blog. I so admire people like your friend - standing up for justice is an amazing
way to live.

You are also participating in passing the news on. I have now been directed to a website that will help me understand and protest in my own small way. Keep the information flowing. Thankyou.

Jo
xx

Llosgi said...

Hi Jo - thanks for your comment. I'd like Sharyn to come back and be safe here but I really don't think she'd be happy to leave so much suffering behind while she feels she can still be useful. I'm glad so many people in this country have mobilised and continue to keep up the pressure on our politicians, arms exporters, media reporters etc.
Peace & solidarity
Carrie